Last Updated on 19/01/2021 by blogbuddy
Before i tell you to get your Banting diet first let me clarify that it’s an just form of low carb diets which are nothing new. Everyone now a days following a low carb diet today, emphasizing meats, vegetables, and fruits, and avoiding sugar and starch.
So, What Is the Banting Diet?
The RMR Banting diet classifies foods as follows:
1. “Green” (eat as much as you want; the compliant foods listed above)
2. “Orange” (eat moderately; there are special rules about these for each phase), “light red” (eat “hardly ever”)
3. “Really Red” (never, ever eat; the non-compliant foods list above is from both “red” lists), and “grey” (it’s complicated).
What are the benefits of Banting?
- Reduced Metabolic Risk: Several studies show that low-carb, high-fat diet (LCHF) diets may help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD), diabetes and obesity.
- Improved Weight Loss vs. HCLF Diets: Studies show that LCHF diets may slightly improve weight loss efforts compared to High Carb Low Fat (HCLF) diets when both include reduced caloric intake
What Does The Banting Diet Involve?
An Diet with precaution is must
“This diet claims people should avoid eating certain foods, like gluten and canned fruit which is consider very effective now a days. Although some nutrition experts recommend skipping this diet, as the it can lead to nutrient imbalances.”
A sudden and drastic reduction in carbs can cause temporary side effects, such as:
- Muscle cramps.
Banting Diet is mostly divided into 4 phases.
- Observation: Understand “what the food you eat actually does to you.”
- Restoration: “Replenish nutrients and gut flora” by eating a medium-carb, sugar- and gluten-free diet.
- Transformation: This is the fat-burning stage, using a sugar-free, gluten-free, and low-carb diet.
- Preservation: This maintenance phase sticks with the sugar- and gluten-free diet, but adds “variable carb levels depending on the individual.”
What to Eat
- Herbs, spices and herbal tea
- Meat, seafood, and eggs
- Seed and vegetable oils
- Some fermented foods
- Eat healthy fat like olive oil, nuts, and avocados.
- Some dairy products
- Certain oils
- Consume a moderate amount of protein from eggs, fish, and meat.
- Most vegetables (all leafy greens and things like tomato, mushroom, avocado, onion and many more)
What should be avoided to eat!
- Any foods containing gluten
- Gluten-free grains, grain products, and flours
- Any foods containing added sugar
- Artificial sweeteners
- Avoid sugar and artificial sweeteners.
- Cut out burgers, pizzas, fries, and other fast food.
- Avoid toxic oil like canola and sunflower.
- Decrease your intake of carbs.
When to Eat
While Banting diet prefers eating four slightly smaller than usual meals per day.Tim Noakes who is South African scientist, and an emeritus professor in the Division of Exercise Science and Sports Medicine at the University of Cape Town, says that you should only eat when you are hungry, and that you should eat mindfully, paying attention to your body’s hunger cues so that you stop when you feel full (not when your plate is empty).
Banting Diet Plan
You can follow a simple diet routine given below for improving weight loss!
Please note this way of eating is not for everyone, so please consult your doctor before making any drastic lifestyle changes, especially if you have any medical conditions or concerns.
BREAKFAST 4-5 ounces beef / mutton / kidneys / broiled fish / bacon or cold meat of any kind (except pork) / 1 large cup of tea (without milk or sugar) / a little biscuit or one ounce of dry toast.
DINNER 5-6 ounces of any fish (except salmon) / any meat (except pork) / any vegetable (except potato) / one ounce of dry toast / fruit of any pudding / any kinds of poultry and 2-3 glasses of good claret, sherry or Madeira (champagne, port, beer were forbidden).
TEA 2-3 ounces fruit / a rusk or two and a cup of tea (without milk or sugar)
SUPPER 3-4 ounces of meat or fish, similar to dinner, with a glass or two of claret.
NIGHTCAP Tumbler of grog / gin / whisky or brandy (without sugar) or a glass or two of claret or sherry.
How long does it take for Banting to work?
The restoration phase is meant to restore your gut health and get you used to the Banting way of eating. This phase may last 2–12 weeks, depending on your weight loss goal. Overall, you should follow it for 1 week for every 11 pounds (5 kg) of weight you want to lose.
Banting Diet :Benefits and Shortcomings
- Phased plan allows customization
- No carb or calorie counting
- Little scientific evidence
You will notice similarities between the Banting diet and other low-carb plans.
The Banting diet has a lot in common with other low carb plans. The Banting plan (at least as outlined in Real Meal Revolution) is about 5 to 10 percent carbohydrates (depends on the phase and each person’s individual response to carbs), 15 to 20 percent protein, and 70 to 75 percent fats.
Here are some of the similar diets.
- Keto Diet– Macro nutient range of carbs, protein, and fats on a ketogenic diet are about the same as Banting
- Paleo Diet– The paleo diet is about 20 percent carbs (so more than Banting), 40 percent fats, and 40 percent protein (again, significantly more than Banting).
- Sugar Busters Diet-The Sugar Busters diet creators suggest eating about 40 percent carbs (but these should from be high-fiber, low-glycemic foods), 30 percent fats, and 30 percent protein.
Click below to get BANTING DIET eBook